Bryce Marine History
Bryce Marine History
Established in 1979 originally at 1619 Manitou Road by founder and President Craig Bryce. To start a marine business amidst recesssion, double digit inflation, 20% interest rates on boat loans, 16% home mortgages, gas rationing and record unemployment was unthinkable. None the less, Craig Bryce, after serving the marine industry for 20 years working for others, opened his own store at 1682 Manitou Rd.
Working together with his brother , Brian Bryce, also a 10 year marine business veteran, the business began. An 800 square foot barn and a 30 boat fenced in compound became Bryce Marine. The original building was a barn that could house one boat at a time in the service shop, one boat in the showroom, a small parts desk, a small accessories area and a small office. On occasion two more boats would be hoisted up to the above hay loft for display purposes.
Six years of hard work and excellent sales and service paid off.
In 1985 Craig designed and built a new facility, dedicated to all aspects of the marine business. The new facility encompasses 11 acres of property and includes a 9,000 square foot showroom, 7,000 square foot service department, a complete parts department, 1,500 square foot accessory showroom and wood, metal and fiberglass shops for repairing boats.
A storage barn was built to house the large inventory of new boats that Bryce keeps on hand.(At many times there are over 150 to choose from). In addition, a manmade test pond specifically designed for servicing boats was built (also makes a great hockey rink in the winter!).
A 20 foot overhead tram lift is used for loading and unloading boats up to 26 feet, a marine travel lift has been added to handle 26 foot and larger boats and an outboard test tank has been added into the service shop.
Bryce now has 12 employees including 4 full time certified mechanics, 2 full time salesmen, 4 man mechanic/rigging crew, 2 office people, all with 368 years of combined marine business experience.