PWC Safety Classes


New York State Law:

Who needs the Boater Education Card?

You need education in New York if you are at least 14 years old and will be operating a PWC or if you are at least 10 years old and born on or after May 1, 1996, will be unaccompanied, and will be operating another type of vessel.

You must be at least 10 years old to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of New York to take this online course.

You Must Carry the Card

Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.


All states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The New York State Boating Safety Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to operate on New York waters. The New York Adventure License program lets you choose to have your certification noted, as an anchor icon, on your NY driver’s license or other identification document issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The following Online Classes are accepted in New York State :

  • Unlimited Retries
  • Start and stop at anytime during your lessons
  • Take the class and test on line from the comfort or your own home

Do You Prefer Classroom Training with an Instructor?

The following links will provide information and links to Classroom Training in our area

Coast Guard Auxillary

Power Squadron